Skip to main content

Endgame, Part 5 - The Church at Sardis

The Church at Sardis

Revelation 3:1-6 (NIV) “To the angel of the church in Sardis write: ‘These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits. That is, the sevenfold Spirit of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. 2 Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God. 3 Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; hold it fast, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you. 4 Yet you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their clothes. They will walk with me, dressed in white, for they are worthy. 5 The one who is victorious will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out the name of that person from the book of life, but will acknowledge that name before my Father and his angels. 6 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’”

Here’s the question of the hour: “How does a church die?” Isn’t the church the Body of Christ? Does the body of Christ have a lifecycle, even though Jesus is eternal? The answer is simple, and yet very profound. A church body, just like the human body, will die if it only lives off the glory of the past. If all you do as a human is celebrate the best meals you had, “back when…”, and you do not prepare nutritious meals today, you will eventually starve to death. This is the state of many churches, and many Christians today, and the next issue God is pointing out through this church in Revelation. Wake up! Stop living in the glory of yesterday, off of leftovers that have been kept in the spiritual fridge of your life.

This church is what many would refer to as the “Country Club Church.” They had a reputation of being alive but are now dead. Their outward appearance is that of commitment, faithfulness, servanthood, but that had really been a while ago. Those days are gone and have become nothing more than ruins – unfinished, decayed, and broken down. They were busy; working, running, but not getting anywhere, not accomplishing anything.

The Interpreter’s Bible Commentary, Vol. 12, says that this process of decline in the church at Sardis was so subtle that no one even noticed it. (pg. 390) Man, that sounds like a lot of churches today. They are dead, they just haven’t run out of money yet. They have form and ritual, but they do not have any power to sustain them.  They need a fresh meal, something new, something exciting that will bring the life back.

The answer for “Good Ol’ Days” Christians: stop looking at the past, the reputation of what once was, the outward appearance, but start with the heart. This church, as well as many Christians, needs a total heart transplant. They have to stop looking at what was and instead look to what is.  It is time for every Christian to realize God is in fact doing a new thing. We see that more now than ever… We are recreating church right now.  Live stream video, Zoom Small Groups, Easter Sunday online, Drive-In Church.  It’s a new day, so stop longing for the old; embrace the new and let’s see what God has in store together!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Love Life's Transitions (NOT)

Have you ever had this happen to you? You are just getting settled into a routine, getting yourself organized, figuring this thing called life out, when out of the blue, BAM! (copyright Emeril) something changes. Maybe its something as common as a fender bender; you know someone hits you from behind as you turn into Starbucks for a Grande Non-Fat Pumpkin Spice Latte, w/ light whip, (in case you wanted to buy me one), and your day is shot. (Yes the Coffee/Starbucks/Espresso pun was intended) It can be something that simple, and annoying, or it can be some of the big stuff. You know what I mean, we are surrounded by it. People lose their jobs with no warning, health problems set back your dreams, hopes and finances. There has been an increase of young males dying early because of hypertension, caused by high blood pressure... Pressure, it is all around us. Transitions always bring pressure. Paul says in II Corinthians that the "light afflictions come to br

Ministry - How Do I Get Started?

After nearly a quarter of a century in ministry I get asked a couple of questions more than others.  Probably the most common is, " How do I get started in full-time ministry? "  Let me attempt to answer that question by telling my story. It was 1990, I was an incoming freshman at Kent Christian College in Dover, DE.  I was excited and young, and thought I was ready to take the world.  We were all being asked the area of ministry we felt called to.  After a lot of debate, and trying not do what I felt God calling me to do, I gave some vague answer, it would take me another year or so, and a few bumps in the road, to submit to God's call on my life to be a pastor. Having then made it known that I was going to pursue full-time pastoral ministry, my pastor told me to do something that was a bit off-putting.  He handed me a vacuum cleaner and told me to vacuum the church hallway and clean the restrooms every day.  Then, as he walked away he said, "Welcome to m

End Game, Part 3 - The Church at Pergamum

 The Church at Pergamum… (Pergamos) Revelation 2:12 - (NIV) “ To the angel of the church in Pergamum write, “These are the words of him who has the sharp, double-edged sword.  13  I know where you live—where Satan has his throne. Yet you remain true to my name. You did not renounce your faith in me, not even in the days of Antipas, my faithful witness, who was put to death in your city—where Satan lives  14 Nevertheless, I have a few things against you: There are some among you who hold to the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to entice the Israelites to sin so that they ate food sacrificed to idols and committed sexual immorality.  15  Likewise, you also have those who hold to the teaching of the Nicolaitans.  16  Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.  17  Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also giv