Skip to main content

Where's the Wind Blowing?


John 3:8 (The Message) You know well enough how the wind blows this way and that. You hear it rustling through the trees, but you have no idea where it comes from or where it’s headed next. That’s the way it is with everyone ‘born from above’ by the wind of God, the Spirit of God.”

When you enter this life of following after the Christ you enter into a life no longer guided by the same landmarks as your old life. The old life is measured by tangible things, years, money, possessions, titles, etc...  The new life is measured by the things you cannot see, faith, hope, love, grace, mercy, maturity, etc...  The old things are visible, tangible, they are perceived by your senses; you can taste, touch, smell, see and hear them. This new thing is visible as to the effects, you can see and hear where happened after the fact.

This new thing is driven by the wind of the spirit. Like a natural wind, it is invisible, yet it can be seen, it is made of "nothing" yet it can produce something. Our job in life it to learn to ride the wind. To learn to perceive the direction, the speed and the destination of the wind. To put up the sails of our lives and catch the uncatchable, and hold the intangible.

This is the source of great frustration for most. For sometimes the wind seems to be clear, it is blowing NNW at 50 miles/hour. Other times is seem to be still, and yet other times it seems to be spinning wildly in circles. These are the times that we have to know who is in control of the wind. Jesus is the master of the uncontrollable, as the Disciples said, "Even the wind and the waves obey him".

In the middle of the hurricane, tornado, stillness or breeze you are in right now, take you hands off the controls and allow the master to steer the ship. You may not be able to navigate this storm, you may not be able to make the boat move, you may be going in a direction that is opposite what you thought, allow Jesus to speak to the wind in you life today.


Stop right now and say Jesus, I give you control of my life.  Now take a deep breath and watch the effects of the wind, “for the steps of a righteous man and woman are ordered after the Lord.”  He said he knows the plan he has for you, a plan to bless you and give you a future and a purpose! Speak to the wind today Jesus!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ministry - How Do I Get Started?

After nearly a quarter of a century in ministry I get asked a couple of questions more than others.  Probably the most common is, " How do I get started in full-time ministry? "  Let me attempt to answer that question by telling my story. It was 1990, I was an incoming freshman at Kent Christian College in Dover, DE.  I was excited and young, and thought I was ready to take the world.  We were all being asked the area of ministry we felt called to.  After a lot of debate, and trying not do what I felt God calling me to do, I gave some vague answer, it would take me another year or so, and a few bumps in the road, to submit to God's call on my life to be a pastor. Having then made it known that I was going to pursue full-time pastoral ministry, my pastor told me to do something that was a bit off-putting.  He handed me a vacuum cleaner and told me to vacuum the church hallway and clean the restrooms every day.  Then, as he walked away he said, "Welcome to m

I Love Life's Transitions (NOT)

Have you ever had this happen to you? You are just getting settled into a routine, getting yourself organized, figuring this thing called life out, when out of the blue, BAM! (copyright Emeril) something changes. Maybe its something as common as a fender bender; you know someone hits you from behind as you turn into Starbucks for a Grande Non-Fat Pumpkin Spice Latte, w/ light whip, (in case you wanted to buy me one), and your day is shot. (Yes the Coffee/Starbucks/Espresso pun was intended) It can be something that simple, and annoying, or it can be some of the big stuff. You know what I mean, we are surrounded by it. People lose their jobs with no warning, health problems set back your dreams, hopes and finances. There has been an increase of young males dying early because of hypertension, caused by high blood pressure... Pressure, it is all around us. Transitions always bring pressure. Paul says in II Corinthians that the "light afflictions come to br

End Game - The Book of Revelation

Here’s my thought process for this post today, I want to hear someone say/speak/preach something - meaningful. I have been getting calloused with the same messages. Can we please talk about the real stuff, I personally don't want another message about how to get along with my family in quarantine again. Are your kids really that bad that you need another one??? Not making light if they are.  I will be praying for you.  Is your spouse so bad that you need a preacher to keep you married right now? Again, if he is then you might need a marriage counselor not another message. Just saying… I want the big questions answered:  What is going on? Is this the End Time? Is Jesus really coming back, if so, when? What’s the mark of the beast? Where are we in prophecy? Let’s just dive right into this topic that I see many people asking about. I want to kick off this blog talking about the Book of Revelation and how it applies to us today. You are probably thinking, “Re