Skip to main content

Circles - (By Deidre Turner)

My wonderful wife, Deidre, sent me this e-mail a few years ago and I posted it to my blog then. I felt compelled to repost it today, I hope it brings some light on your life, I know it has mine.

I live on Spring Street. The same Spring Street in Hot Springs, AR that my parents lived on in 1972 when I was born. I know, I know, what’s remarkable about that? Lots of people live in the same town that they were born, right? Lots of people live in the same town their whole lives. What’s remarkable is that I left. Well, more accurately my parents left 28 years ago. They moved 1,200 miles away to Maryland. I was raised there. I grew up there. There was my home – not this place of southern remote quaintness that I don’t quite get. What I get is right outside of Philly- Delaware bluntness. 

You see, I was never coming back here. Graduated from college, got married, moved to Florida 3 years later, had 3 babies, co-pastoring a church, living it out. I was never going to live in Arkansas! Are you kidding me? Then, the bottom fell out and too many events happened to dive into here. God opened a nothing-short-of-miraculous door and - voila! Here I am living on the same street on which I was born. My life has been a great big circle passing from mid-south to north-east to south-east back to mid-south - one big, ironic circle.

Since this, I’ve started noticing circles everywhere. No, not the geometric shape, but circles of life (My apologies to the Lion King.) We originate with God, in the unknown cosmos of eternity and galaxy and infiniteness, and are born into these little fragile, earth bodies. From our first breaths, we want to GO! We learn to roll, scoot, crawl, walk and then RUN. We go to school then go to college then go out on our own then go to work, all under the illusion that we are really going anywhere at all. We all work so hard to try to forget that the finish line is right back at the starting point - with God, in the unknown cosmos of eternity and galaxy and infiniteness. Life is a circle. Some circles are large. Other circles are way too short, like my cousin Frog’s and my friend Annette’s. They both passed this year - both from cancer - both in their 30’s - both circles way too short. 

So, what’s the point? The point is to get rid of the illusion - to get our heads out of the sand. If the end is the beginning, then run in your circle with that full realization. Enjoy every minute of it. Squeeze every ounce of life and joy and love out of it. Live your dreams. Seize the day. But always, always remember your Maker. Live so that when that finish line comes into view it doesn’t frighten you. Be prepared for that day. That day will come, your circle will be complete, and you’ll be back where you started from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ministry - How Do I Get Started?

After nearly a quarter of a century in ministry I get asked a couple of questions more than others.  Probably the most common is, " How do I get started in full-time ministry? "  Let me attempt to answer that question by telling my story. It was 1990, I was an incoming freshman at Kent Christian College in Dover, DE.  I was excited and young, and thought I was ready to take the world.  We were all being asked the area of ministry we felt called to.  After a lot of debate, and trying not do what I felt God calling me to do, I gave some vague answer, it would take me another year or so, and a few bumps in the road, to submit to God's call on my life to be a pastor. Having then made it known that I was going to pursue full-time pastoral ministry, my pastor told me to do something that was a bit off-putting.  He handed me a vacuum cleaner and told me to vacuum the church hallway and clean the restrooms every day.  Then, as he walked away he said, "Welcome to m

I Love Life's Transitions (NOT)

Have you ever had this happen to you? You are just getting settled into a routine, getting yourself organized, figuring this thing called life out, when out of the blue, BAM! (copyright Emeril) something changes. Maybe its something as common as a fender bender; you know someone hits you from behind as you turn into Starbucks for a Grande Non-Fat Pumpkin Spice Latte, w/ light whip, (in case you wanted to buy me one), and your day is shot. (Yes the Coffee/Starbucks/Espresso pun was intended) It can be something that simple, and annoying, or it can be some of the big stuff. You know what I mean, we are surrounded by it. People lose their jobs with no warning, health problems set back your dreams, hopes and finances. There has been an increase of young males dying early because of hypertension, caused by high blood pressure... Pressure, it is all around us. Transitions always bring pressure. Paul says in II Corinthians that the "light afflictions come to br

End Game - The Book of Revelation

Here’s my thought process for this post today, I want to hear someone say/speak/preach something - meaningful. I have been getting calloused with the same messages. Can we please talk about the real stuff, I personally don't want another message about how to get along with my family in quarantine again. Are your kids really that bad that you need another one??? Not making light if they are.  I will be praying for you.  Is your spouse so bad that you need a preacher to keep you married right now? Again, if he is then you might need a marriage counselor not another message. Just saying… I want the big questions answered:  What is going on? Is this the End Time? Is Jesus really coming back, if so, when? What’s the mark of the beast? Where are we in prophecy? Let’s just dive right into this topic that I see many people asking about. I want to kick off this blog talking about the Book of Revelation and how it applies to us today. You are probably thinking, “Re