Skip to main content

I'm Coming UP!

Matthew 19:30 (NIV)- But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.

Matthew 19:30 (The Message)- This is the Great Reversal: many of the first ending up last, and the last first.

In this world we understand that what goes up must come down, but the spiritual world is a kingdom of opposites. It’s a world where the last will be first, where the poor say they are rich and the weak say they are strong. It’s a world where in order to get you have to give, and to increase you must decrease. It’s a world where his strength is made perfect in our weakness. It’s a kingdom that if you want to go up you have to go down. Though you walk through the fire you will not be burned…. Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death you will have no fear… In this world you will have trouble, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world! And everything that goes down is destined to come up. Weeping may endure for a night, but joy’s coming in the morning! The very fact that you are down is an indication that you are on your way back up! 

2 Corinthians 4:7 (The Message) If you only look at us, you might well miss the brightness. We carry this precious Message around in the unadorned clay pots of our ordinary lives. That’s to prevent anyone from confusing God’s incomparable power with us. 8As it is, there’s not much chance of that. You know for yourselves that we’re not much to look at. We've been surrounded and battered by troubles, but we’re not demoralized; we’re not sure what to do, but we know that God knows what to do; we've been spiritually terrorized, but God hasn’t left our side; we've been thrown down, but we haven’t broken. 

Romans 8:35 (NIV) Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” 37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

You may be going down right now, but hold on for a minute, cause you’re on your way back up with more power and energy that you have ever had before.

“James, why do I have to go down in order to go up?” That’s a great question, I’m glad you asked it! Newton's first law: The Law of Inertia-Every body perseveres in its state of being at rest… except insofar as it is compelled to change its state by force impressed. In other words, we are will remain just like we are until the pressure to change becomes greater than the desire to stay where we are. Only when we are allowed to fall to the bottom do we then create the pressure to cause change in our lives.

Newton's third law: The Law of Reciprocal ActionsFor an action there is always an equal and opposite reaction… The pressure that is created in our lives that pushes us down is not just creating pressure, but also momentum. But remember for every action, the pressure pushing us down, there is an equal and opposite reaction, the momentum that will carry us higher than we were to begin with.

If I were bouncing a ball, the harder I try to push that ball down, the faster and higher is comes back at me. I can push as hard as I want, that ball is still going to respond to the pressure and bounce back to me faster than I push it down. It’s like those power balls you get out of the dispenser at Wal-Mart. You can throw them down as hard as you want, but they will keep bouncing back.

It is like one of those blow up things we had when I was a kid - you hit it, it lay way over and bounced right back up, cause it was weighted at the bottom? No matter how hard you hit it, it always bounced right back up. Somebody needs to get a bounce back in their spirit. Somebody needs to look life in the face and say you may hit me and knock me down, but I have to go down in order to come back up.

I may be down now, but I am on my way back up. I may have fallen down one more time, but I have a bounce back in my spirit and I’m on my way back up! Tell ‘em, I’m like George and Wheezy, "I’m moving on up…"

There’s a song by the great American Theologian, Rodney Adkins, that says, If you're going through hell, keep on going, don't slow down, if you're scared, don't show it. You might get out before the devil even knows you're there. If you're going through hell, keep on moving, face that fire, walk right through it. You might get out before the devil even knows you're there

It’s time for someone today to make their mind up that you will not quit. I will not give up! I might be down, but everything that goes down, MUST come up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ministry - How Do I Get Started?

After nearly a quarter of a century in ministry I get asked a couple of questions more than others.  Probably the most common is, " How do I get started in full-time ministry? "  Let me attempt to answer that question by telling my story. It was 1990, I was an incoming freshman at Kent Christian College in Dover, DE.  I was excited and young, and thought I was ready to take the world.  We were all being asked the area of ministry we felt called to.  After a lot of debate, and trying not do what I felt God calling me to do, I gave some vague answer, it would take me another year or so, and a few bumps in the road, to submit to God's call on my life to be a pastor. Having then made it known that I was going to pursue full-time pastoral ministry, my pastor told me to do something that was a bit off-putting.  He handed me a vacuum cleaner and told me to vacuum the church hallway and clean the restrooms every day.  Then, as he walked away he said, "Welcome to m

I Love Life's Transitions (NOT)

Have you ever had this happen to you? You are just getting settled into a routine, getting yourself organized, figuring this thing called life out, when out of the blue, BAM! (copyright Emeril) something changes. Maybe its something as common as a fender bender; you know someone hits you from behind as you turn into Starbucks for a Grande Non-Fat Pumpkin Spice Latte, w/ light whip, (in case you wanted to buy me one), and your day is shot. (Yes the Coffee/Starbucks/Espresso pun was intended) It can be something that simple, and annoying, or it can be some of the big stuff. You know what I mean, we are surrounded by it. People lose their jobs with no warning, health problems set back your dreams, hopes and finances. There has been an increase of young males dying early because of hypertension, caused by high blood pressure... Pressure, it is all around us. Transitions always bring pressure. Paul says in II Corinthians that the "light afflictions come to br

End Game - The Book of Revelation

Here’s my thought process for this post today, I want to hear someone say/speak/preach something - meaningful. I have been getting calloused with the same messages. Can we please talk about the real stuff, I personally don't want another message about how to get along with my family in quarantine again. Are your kids really that bad that you need another one??? Not making light if they are.  I will be praying for you.  Is your spouse so bad that you need a preacher to keep you married right now? Again, if he is then you might need a marriage counselor not another message. Just saying… I want the big questions answered:  What is going on? Is this the End Time? Is Jesus really coming back, if so, when? What’s the mark of the beast? Where are we in prophecy? Let’s just dive right into this topic that I see many people asking about. I want to kick off this blog talking about the Book of Revelation and how it applies to us today. You are probably thinking, “Re